We congratulate Mette Strømsø on the successful defense of her PhD thesis today, 14 June 2019! Dr Strømsø’s thesis ‘Beneath the waves of nationalism: How ordinary people living in Norway (re)produce the nation in everyday life’ was defended at the University of Oslo Department of Sociology and Human Geography.
Her trial lecture
Contestations, conviviality and diversity in conceptions of nations and nationalism: how is diversity challenged in different places, what are the contradictions inherent to notions of conviviality, and what frictions result from boundary making and inclusion/exclusion?
• Professor Rhys Jones, Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University, UK
• Assistant Professorial Research Fellow Susanne Wessendorf, London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
• Professor Andrea Nightingale, Institutt for sosiologi og samfunnsgeografi, UiO
• Professor Marta Bivand Erdal, PRIO
• Professor Kristian Stokke, Institutt for sosiologi og samfunnsgeografi, UiO