J. P. Linstroth left PRIO in 2010. The information on this page is kept for historical reasons.
Natural Resource Conflicts in Southern Amazonas, Brazil; urban Amerindians and indigenous rights, Brazil; Basque Conflict; Basque Peace Process; post-conflict Guatemala; Immigrants USA and ethnic conflict (Regional Areas: Latin America, Europe, USA)
- D.Phil. Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Oxford, UK
- M.A. Cultural Anthropology, Florida State University, USA
- B.A. Political Science & Spanish, College of the Holy Cross, USA
Manaus, Brazil 2009 (Visiting Professor, Universidade Federal do Amazonas, UFAM; research urban Amerindians and social change; funded by US Fulbright Foreign Scholar Grant 2008-2009)
- US Immigrants in South Florida (Cubans, Haitians, Guatemalan-Mayas) Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation Grant 2005-2007 (co-awarded with colleagues)
- Basque Country [Euskal Herria] 1995-1997 field research for D.Phil. University of Oxford
- Fluent Spanish; some Portuguese; some Basque [euskera]
- (read: Italian, French, Catalan; learning Norwegian)
- (English native language)
- Marching Against Gender Practice: political imaginings in the Basqueland (forthcoming)
- Violence and Peace Re-Imagined: a new theory for cognitive anthropology (forthcoming)
Peer-reviewed Journal Article
Köttig, Michaela;Chaitin, Julia;Linstroth, J. P.; & Rosenthal, Gabriele (2009) Preface: Biography and Ethnicity: Development and Changes in Senses of Socio-cultural Belonging in Migrant Populations in the US and Germany , Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3): .
Chaitin, Julia; J. P. Linstroth & Patrick Hiller (2009) Ethnicity and Belonging: An Overview of a Study of Cuban, Haitian and Guatemalan Immigrants to Florida, Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3).
Cooper, Robin; Denese Edsall; Diana Riviera; Julia Chaitin & J. P. Linstroth (2009) "My Country" / "This Country": Ambivalent Belongings of Cuban Americans in South Florida, Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3).
Linstroth, J. P.; & Ayala Vela, Paloma (2009) "I am Maya, not Guatemalan, nor Hispanic"—the Belongingness of Mayas in Southern Florida , Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3): .
Linstroth, J. P.;Hall, Alison;Douge-Prosper, Mamyrah; & Hiller, Patrick (2009) Conflicting Ambivalence of Haitian Identity-Making in South Florida , Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3): .
Cooper, Robin; J. P. Linstroth & Julia Chaitin (2009) Negotiating the Transnationality of Social Control: Stories of Immigrant Women in South Florida, Forum: Qualitative Social Research 10(3).
Linstroth, J. P. (2009) Mayan Cognition, Memory, and Trauma , History and Anthropology 20(2): 139–182.
Linstroth, J. P. (2010) IA-Forum Interview: Dr. J. P. Linstroth04/01/2010.