PRIO is extremely happy to be able to introduce Dr. Surin Pitsuwan, former foreign minister of Thailand (1997 to 2001) and Secretary General of ASEAN (2008 to 2012) to a Norwegian audience. He will share his thoughts on ASEAN’s current challenges with us.
As Norway has become a Sectoral Dialogue Partner, ASEAN has continued to gain international recognition for its economic integration and community building efforts. Regarded as "the Fulcrum of Emerging Architecture of Cooperation in the Region of east Asia, the ASEAN Community is being formally launched in Kuala Lumpur later on this year. Dr. Pitsuwan will discuss issues such as:
- How will the ten Member States handle the challenges in order to maintain their drive towards a more integrated market and a more cohesive political and security community?
- What are the key implications of the intensifying power play in the Asia-Pacific region?
- How will issues of democracy, human rights and human security be incorporatedinto the overall development of ASEAN, contributing to enhanced stability and inclusivity for the benefits of all of its people?
- What is to be expected of ASEAN in its anticipated Vision for 2025 under consideration now?"
- Given these dynamics and evolving processes, what and how can a new Sectoral Dialogue Partner like Norway contribute to the work in progress of ASEAN's community building? "
Kristian Berg Harpviken will moderate the seminar and Stein Tønnesson will provide comments.
A light breakfast will be served from 8:15.