In the 1980s, in what was then Northern Somalia, doctors, teachers, and other professionals lived out their ethics and ideals by restoring a hospital and responding to the needs of people in their community. Their actions were rewarded with arrests and imprisonment. This is the story of the Uffo group.
In today’s podcast Mohamed Aden Hassan and Ebba Tellander discuss Uffo and how this story can inspire people around the world - especially perhaps the Somali Diaspora.
Ebba also wishes to acknowledge research assistance by Nasra Dahir Moahed and Shukri Ali (whose voice we hear in this episode as well).
- Read the comics in English or Somali on positivenegatives.org
- Watch the animated versions on youtube
- Read Ebba's PRIO Blog post Using a Comic to Tell the True Story of the Uffo Struggle for Justice in Somaliland about her research and the comic process
- Listen to Peace in a Pod episode #60 on visual storytelling with Cindy Horst and Ben Dix
- Visit the TRANSFORM project webpage to read about more projects like this one