Practical Information for Participants
image(arrow) Programme for the conference
image(arrow) Practical information before arrival
image(arrow) Contact persons
(NB: Participation at the conference by invitation only)
About the Conference
The International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO) is organizing a conference to highlight the role and potential of religion in peacemaking processes. This international conference, entitled ‘Mapping the Terrain: Religion in Diplomacy and Peacemaking’
, will be held in Oslo on 7–9 February 2005. The overall purpose of the conference is twofold:
- To formulate advisory and – where possible – concrete guidelines assisting the activities of a broad spectre of diplomatic actors engaged in peacemaking interventions and processes in which religion is a primary component.
- To further crystallize and strengthen this domain of peace research by strengthening the research agenda and drawing attention to its scope and possibilities.
Emphasising the utility of the output, the conference will stress the applied dimension within these two intertwined fields. We will be inviting approximately 100 individuals who are engaged in peacemaking efforts through field engagements, research or diplomatic activities. The participants will be drawn from a range of political, academic and religious spheres. At the conference, we aim to establish a common ground so that participants from various areas can share experiences and draw upon each other’s competences. We hope that this will stimulate new contacts and contribute to the creation of viable and vital networks.
The conference proper will take place in Oslo on Tuesday 8 February 2005. There will also be a welcoming dinner for participants on Monday 7 February and a day of workshops on Wednesday 9 February, to be followed by a concluding plenary session. On the day of the conference proper, there will be two sessions, each with two main speakers, in addition to an opening speech by Norwegian Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik and a keynote speech by a central actor within international peace diplomacy.
The conference is organized by researchers at PRIO, assisted by an advisory board:
- Conference Leader: Kristian Berg Harpviken (sociologist and Senior Researcher at PRIO, leader of PRIO’s research programme on Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding)
- Conference Coordinator: Hanne Eggen Røislien (historian of religion and Researcher at PRIO, attached to PRIO’s strategic institute programme on the Middle East)
- Henrik Syse (political philosopher and Senior Researcher at PRIO, currently completing a post-doctorate fellowship on ethics at the University of Oslo)
- Gregory Reichberg (political philosopher and Senior Researcher at PRIO, leader of PRIO’s research programme on Ethnicities, Norms and Identities)
- Trond Bakkevig (Dean of Vestre Aker church, multiple interfaith and diplomatic engagements)
A project grant enabling the organization of the conference has been awarded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For more information, please contact Conference Coordinator Hanne Eggen Røislien at telephone: + 47 22 54 77 00 (switchboard) / 15 (direct) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org