The new UN Secretary General has made preventing armed conflict a top priority for the UN system. In response to this, the UN and World Bank is preparing a joint flagship report on prevention of armed conflict. PRIO is contributing several background papers to this work. For this background paper, the main questions are: To what extent are issues of equity, fairness and social and political inclusion, in addition to actual or perceived economic inequality, critical dimensions that long term prevention efforts must address?
The main deliverable of the project will be a background report on inequality and armed conflict. This report will contain:
- A review and synthesis of the existing literature on inequality, exclusion, and armed conflict
- A measurement and mapping exercise that will review approaches to measuring different dimensions of inequality at various geographical levels
- A review and synthesis of recent work done on perceived inequalities and their relation to armed conflict
- A review and synthesis of recent work on policies that promote equity, fairness, and social and political inclusion
- A discussion of the implications of the findings from points 1-5 for the study and for the prevention agenda
As part of the literature reviews, PRIO is compiling matricies of relevant literature. The matrix for the quantitative literature on inequality and conflict is available here
. For convience, here
is the accompanying EndNote bibliography library.