The first of a new series of High-Level Seminars on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes will be held in Oslo this autumn.
The overall objective of the High-level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes for envoys, mediators and senior mediation experts, is to generate more consultative processes by promoting women’s effective participation and building inclusive, gender-sensitive mediation capacity at international, regional and national levels.
The High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes is designed to:
- Increase participants’ awareness of the roles women may play in resolving and sustaining conflict;
- Deal with dilemmas of inclusivity and efficiency in mediation; e.g. how opportunities for women’s participation in mediated processes are affected by culture and local traditions;
- Apply the UN’s normative women, peace and security frameworks as leverage for mediators; High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes
- Offer practical strategies and tools for conflict assessment and process design to expand participation and opportunities for women and civil society; and for including women more systematically in implementation bodies; and
- Provide specific information, advice, and language on gender-relevant components of substantive issues, including on conflict-related sexual violence, in ceasefire- and peace agreements.
The seventh High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes will take place in Oslo, Norway, on 11-13 October 2016. The seminar is organized by PRIO, the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA), and the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), with support from the Governments of Finland and Norway.
- The seminar is by invitation only.
- Seminar hashtag: #GenderInclusion
- Find more information about the series of seminars here
For questions, please contact Julie M. Hansen (firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 41 15 68 40)