Second High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes
Helsinki Seminar 2013
Please note: This page refers to an event that has already taken place.
08 Oct 2013 - 10 Oct 2013
Långvik Conference Hotel, Helsinki
The second High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes will take place in Helsinki, Finland, on 8-10 October 2013. The seminar is organized by the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA) and PRIO.
The seminar is by invitation only.
The overall objective of the High-level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes for envoys, mediators and senior mediation experts, is therefore to generate more consultative processes by promoting women’s effective participation and building inclusive, gender-sensitive mediation capacity at international, regional and national levels.
The High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes is designed to:
- Increase participants’ awareness of the roles women may play in resolving and sustaining conflict;
- Deal with dilemmas of inclusivity and efficiency in mediation; e.g. how opportunities for women’s participation in mediated processes are affected by culture and local traditions;
- Apply the UN’s normative women, peace and security frameworks as leverage for mediators; High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes
- Offer practical strategies and tools for conflict assessment and process design to expand participation and opportunities for women and civil society; and for including women more systematically in implementation bodies; and
- Provide specific information, advice, and language on gender-relevant components of substantive issues, including on conflict-related sexual violence, in ceasefire- and peace agreements.