What are the conditions under which businesses can move beyond ‘doing no harm’ in the fragile and conflict-affected societies where they work to deliver more tangible positive peace dividends? Designed for businesses, practitioners, scholars and others who are interested and engaged in corporate impact in such areas, this report provides an overview of the main lessons from a four-year study of corporate peacebuilding initiatives across a range of contexts. Its main findings are formulated as seven key questions which can help evaluate risks and improve impact.
- What is the ‘conflict and business’ environment?
- What is the local definition of ‘peace’?
- How does our peace work impact socio-economic structures?
- Does our operational presence give support to conflict actors?
- Is our firm structured to support peace?
- Do we work well with other knowledge producers and peace practitioners?
- What is our ‘red line’ for terminating operations?