The overall objective of the High-level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes for envoys, mediators and senior mediation experts, is to generate more consultative processes by promoting women’s effective participation and building inclusive, gender-sensitive mediation capacity at international, regional and national levels.
The High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes is designed to:
- Increase participants’ awareness of the roles women may play in resolving and sustaining conflict;
- Deal with dilemmas of inclusivity and efficiency in mediation; e.g. how opportunities for women’s participation in mediated processes are affected by culture and local traditions;
- Apply the UN’s normative women, peace and security frameworks as leverage for mediators; High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes
- Offer practical strategies and tools for conflict assessment and process design to expand participation and opportunities for women and civil society; and for including women more systematically in implementation bodies; and
- Provide specific information, advice, and language on gender-relevant components of substantive issues, including on conflict-related sexual violence, in ceasefire- and peace agreements.
The seventh High-Level Seminar on Gender and Inclusive Mediation Processes will take place in Oslo, Norway, on 11-13 October 2016. The seminar is organized by PRIO, the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA), and the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), with support from the Governments of Finland and Norway.
For questions, please contact Julie M. Hansen (firstname.lastname@example.org
, +47 41 15 68 40)