- Research director, Institute for Social Research, Oslo, 1984 to present.
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, since 1988
- Member, Academia Europaea since 1989
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, University of Oslo, 1990-92.
- Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy since 1991
- Robert K. Merton Professor of Social Science, Columbia University, 1995 to present.
- Adjunct Professor, Centre for the Study of Civil War, Oslo 2003-2007
Please refer to the full CV for a complete list.
Mag.art.(philosophy) from the University of Oslo, 1966. Thesis: "Prise de conscience dans la Phénoménologie de l'Esprit de Hegel".
Docteur ès lettres et sciences sociales from the University of Paris V, 1972. Thesis: "Production et reproduction: Essai sur Marx".
Please see the external homepage at Columbia University for more information about this person.