Kristin Bergtora Sandvik
I am the Centre Director for the Norwegian Centre for Humanitarian Studies, which aims to promote and facilitate critical and relevant research on key humanitarian issues
§ My research focuses on the interface between international law, humanitarianism, technology and violence.
§ What are the humanitarian and legal consequences of increasingly automated and autonomous weapon platforms? What is the future of accountability? I explore these themes in my project on emergent military technologies focusing on cyberwar and drones.
§ What is the role of law in the protection of civilians? My research on indigenous groups and
internally displaced women in Colombia investigates how political organizing and legal mobilization shape the everyday life of marginalized groups in the midst of violent conflict.
§ Doctor of Juridical Sciences, S.J.D Harvard Law School 2008
§ Visiting Fellowship, RSC, University of Oxford 2006
§ Visiting Researcher, Refugee Law Project, Uganda 2005
§ Candidata Juris, Masters in Women's Law, University of Oslo 2002
Board member, the International Humanitarian Studies Association (IHSA)
Editorial Board, Security Dialogue
*leader of project
PRIO started tracking events online in 2007. This listing is not complete.
Past events may be mentioned in our news archive.
19 Feb 2016 08:30-10:00
- The Big Freeze: Storskog, Russia Politics and the End(s) of a Humanitarian Superpower
10 Dec 2015 08:30-10:00
- Lethal Autonomous Weapons: the Challenge of Accountability
04 Dec 2015 08:30-10:00
- Drones in Humanitarian Action : Uses, Opportunities and Challenges
02 Dec 2015 09:00-15:00
- Humanitarian Markets: Challenges and Opportunities for Innovation
19 Aug 2015 14:30-17:00
- Film Screening: 'Syria Through a Lens'
20 May 2015 09:00-16:00
- A Humanitarian Crisis on the Doorstep of Europe
03 Mar 2015 08:30-10:00
- After Ebola?
26 Feb 2015 12:00-14:00
- Building Peace in Permanent War: Terrorist Listing & Conflict Transformation
11 Dec 2014 08:30-16:00
- Humanitarian Innovation
03 Dec 2014 09:00-17:00
- Reframing Urban Violence in Latin-America
21 Nov 2014 10:00-13:00
- Armed Conflict and Maternal Health
28 - 30 Oct 2014
- PhD Course: Humanitarian Action and the Protection of Civilians
23 Oct 2014 14:00-16:00
- The International Politics of Human Rights and the Responsibility to Protect
09 Oct 2014 11:00-14:00
- Beyond the Humanitarian Crisis in Gaza: What now for Israel and Palestine?
07 Oct 2014 08:30-10:00
- Ebola: A Humanitarian Crisis or a Crisis of Humanitarian Governance?
24 Sep 2014 10:00-12:00
- Human Rights and Drones
22 Sep 2014 12:15-13:45
- The Humanitarian Triad
05 Mar 2014 08:30-10:00
- Key Pointers for Evidence-Based Humanitarian Action: Lessons from Syria, Chad and Uganda
04 Mar 2014 08:30-10:00
- The Rise and Decline of a Global Security Actor: UNHCR, Refugee Protection and Security
04 Feb 2014 12:00-16:00
- The Road Towards Colombian Peace: Field-Based Perspectives
04 Feb 2014 08:30-10:00
- Colombia: Ending the War - Ending the War on Drugs?
29 Jan 2014 08:30-10:00
- Killer Robots at the UN
29 Nov 2013 09:00-12:00
- New Humanitarian Technology: Humanitarians and Cyberspace
Thu, 28 November 2013
- Critical Approaches to Humanitarian Technology: Accountability, Decision-Making and New Actors
Wed, 13 November 2013
- PhD Course: Emerging Military Technologies - New Normative Challenges
Fri, 01 November 2013
- The Future of Warfare
17 Oct 2013 08:30-11:00
- Life-Saving Innovations: World Disasters Report 2013
17 Sep 2013 15:30-17:30
- PRIO Annual Peace Address 2013: The Power of Global Activism
Thu, 05 September 2013
- The Critical Humanitarian Technology Project 2013: The Rise of the Good Drone
04 Sep 2013 08:30-10:00
- Killer Robots: the Future of War?
06 Aug 2013 12:00-14:00
- Mali: Humanitarian Challenges amid a Fragile Security Situation, What Role for the UN?
22 May 2013 12:00-14:00
- Fokus: Cyberspace og sikkerhet
02 May 2013 14:30-18:00
- After the War: What Future for Women?
22 Apr 2013 12:00-14:00
- Disaster Drones: Promises and Pitfalls for Humanitarian Action
21 Mar 2013 08:30-10:00
- Return to Somalia: A New Era?
19 Feb 2013 12:00-14:00
- The Current State of the Humanitarian Enterprise in Afghanistan
26 Nov 2012 12:15-14:00
- The Ambiguous Role of Religion
12 Mar 2012 12:00-13:00
- Collaborative feminist methodologies - in the emergency zone?
10 Feb 2012 10:00-12:00
- What’s Wrong With the Arms Trade and What To Do About It
29 Nov 2011 10:00-12:00
- The Research-Practice Nexus in Humanitarianism
10 Dec 2010 08:30-16:00
- Gender and Conflict Research
04 - 05 Nov 2010
- New Security Agendas and Non-Violent Interventions
Peer-reviewed Journal Article
Sandvik, Kristin Bergtora; & Hans-Inge Giske Langø (2013) Cyberspace og sikkerhet
, Internasjonal Politikk
Sandvik, Kristin Bergtora; & Maria Gabrielsen Jumbert, eds, (2016) The Good Drone
. London: Ashgate.
Sandvik, Kristin Bergtora (2013) Framtidas Krig
, presented at Framtidas Krig, Bergen, 16/10/13.