The Norwegian Centre for Humanitarian Studies (NCHS) aims to promote and facilitate critical and relevant research on key humanitarian issues such as those identified above. The Centre will serve as a hub for research and policy discussion, and will feature a national network of scholars working on humanitarian issues from outside the three core institutions. It will also feature an extensive network of international humanitarian scholars.
CMI, NUPI, and PRIO jointly run this Centre.
The Centre has four overarching objectives:
- To produce high quality, policy relevant research on humanitarian issues
- To establish a critical mass of Norwegian scholars working on humanitarian issues, and linking these up with international networks
- To serve as a key partner for discussion and analysis for humanitarian actors
- To stimulate public debate on humanitarian issues
The Centre’s main activities will be:
- Research and project development
- Discussions of emerging humanitarian issues and events through regular seminars and an annual conference
- Expert advice to and analyses for humanitarian actors
- Public information on evolving humanitarian crises and events